Re: defaulting to net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 for squeeze

Am Samstag 24 Oktober 2009 20:24:31 schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> I propose that netbase will create on new installations a file in
> /etc/sysctl.d/ containing net.ipv6.bindv6only=1.
[...]
> [2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3493#section-5.3

1. It obviously doesn't do this only on new installation but also on upgrades.
2. You cite RFC3493 but your request (and action) obviously violates it:
 "By default this option is turned off."

Hint: "off" means 0, not 1.

Why does Debian violate the RFC on purpose? Why does it break installed
systems?

I have failures now with a client that cannot connect() to the IPv4 address
but get an ENETUNREACH instead.
The application DOES set this socket option:
socket(PF_INET6, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
setsockopt(3, SOL_IPV6, IPV6_V6ONLY, [0], 4) = 0
bind(3, {sa_family=AF_INET6,....) = 0
listen(3, ....) = 0

Did you ever test that "setting this option back to 0 by a program before
bind() and listen()" actually works?

Reverting your change fixes this. I am using Debian testing up-to-date with
linux-2.6.32 (self-compiled).

HS