Re: default character encoding for everything in debian

It's impressing how quickly threads on this list grow big. :-)

I'm not sure, whether a conclusion is already reached.

1. apt-get install mysql
2. enter mysql client
3. create database test; create table test( test char(10) );

Replace mysql with whatever application you like.

What should be the encoding of database and table test in cases like the
above?

Currently it's iso-something, discriminating everybody from other countries.
If it would be utf-8 instead, it would have at least two advantages

- The clueless user would get a sane default
- utf-8 isn't as discriminating as iso-8859-1

Best regards,

Thomas Koch

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro