default character encoding for everything in debian

Hi,

I've an issue, that I forgot to set the character encoding of tomcat to utf-8
after reinstalling a server.
Now, before I report a wishlist(?) bug to tomcat, I want to ask (and invite to
discuss) shouldn't utf8 be the default character set everywhere? So when
installing a package from Debian I can assume that where a character encoding
can be set, it't set to utf8.
MySQL would be another example, which to my knowledge uses isoXYZ as default
character encoding.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro