Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You can build a .ddeb manually, yes. However for some cases
>> (e.g. packages using debhelper and building ELF binaries) a .ddeb will
>> be automatically created (if none is created manually) and detached
>> debugging symbols will be put there. I'll try to automatize other
>> languages too, so that having full archive coverage is as simpler as
>> possible.
>
> Could you explain a bit more about what merits you see in creating
> something that we call a different type of package rather than just
> listing debug packages in debian/control and building them as we do now
> and handling section debug specially in the archive software?  Is it just
> the avoiding of the need to add a bunch of debian/control entries?

Yes, automatically doing it is the main idea. And by automatically I mean with
zero changes, not even adding a package to debian/control. We will still support
packages listing ddebs in debian/control and building them manually of course,
since we can't cover 100% of the archive automagically.

Emilio