Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:

> You can build a .ddeb manually, yes. However for some cases
> (e.g. packages using debhelper and building ELF binaries) a .ddeb will
> be automatically created (if none is created manually) and detached
> debugging symbols will be put there. I'll try to automatize other
> languages too, so that having full archive coverage is as simpler as
> possible.

Could you explain a bit more about what merits you see in creating
something that we call a different type of package rather than just
listing debug packages in debian/control and building them as we do now
and handling section debug specially in the archive software?  Is it just
the avoiding of the need to add a bunch of debian/control entries?