Re: default character encoding for everything in debian

Gunnar Wolf, le Tue 11 Aug 2009 13:28:08 -0500, a écrit :
> while length(str) in any language up to the 1990s was a mere
> substraction, now we must go through the string checking each byte to
> see if it is a Unicode marker and substract the appropriate number of
> bytes.

Not necessarily.  Any sane implementation should just use wchar_t and
substraction gets back.  The width of the text is another matter, but
it's a problem for truetype rendering anyway.  What is still costly is
then the conversion, which in principle only happens while talking with
other programs (files/socket/etc.)

Samuel