Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>>         Can you  point ot me the disadvantage of continuing to use what
>>>  dh_strip does now?
>> It can still be used, but you will miss the advantages of using build ids.
>
>         I guess I was trying to ask what the advantages were, apart from
>  the CRC check overhead that is skipped on load.  I presume that the crc
>  check sum has been demonstrated to be onerous. Are there any other
>  advantages I am missing?

We plan to provide a share through the network, that you can mount to virtually
have all the debugging symbols for the archive, downloading them as needed.

With build ids, assuming we have enough disk space, we could ship debugging
symbols for more than one version at a time, and the right one would be picked.
With the debuglink method, this wouldn't be possible as the files would need to
be shipped in the same place.

Cheers,
Emilio