Re: default character encoding for everything in debian

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 09:49:34PM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> [...]
> > make UTF-8 bad per se to call it "rubbish".
>
> I didn't call utf-8 itself rubbish, I am myself a strong proponent for
> utf-8, only your quote that it is "about as compact as an extended encoding
> is going to get".

I should have qualified it with "that is both 8-bit and backward-
compatible with ASCII".  Other encodings will be more compact, but
AFAIK there isn't a more compact UCS encoding, though UTF-16 /might/
be more compact for certain languages, albeit without any 8-bit
backward compatibility.

Regards,
Roger

--