Re: Non-unified patches and dpkg source format ‘3.0 (quilt)’.

On Thu, Aug 06 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> So... you all realize, right, that old-style context diffs and unified
> diffs can be trivially converted into each other?  They have the same
> amount of information.
>
>     filterdiff --format=unified < context.diff
>     filterdiff --format=context < unified.diff
>
> (filterdiff comes with patchutils.)  Given that, this seems like a tempest
> in a teapot to me.  Just convert the diff into whatever format the tool
> that you're using expects or the reviewer wants to read.
>
> diff -c diffs are somewhat easier to read in some specific circumstances,
> usually involving significant code rewrites, than diff -u diffs.

        Also, emacs diff-mode does this in the buffer for you, so you
 don't need to even have filterdiff installed, assuming you worship at
 the altar of the one true editor.

        manoj
--
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to
deceive. Shakespeare