Re: ia32-libs transition

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <didier@raboud.com> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just spent over an hour writing and rewriting this mail, and
>>> determined that I can't think of a single constructive thing to say.
>>>
>>> So I'll just ask a couple of questions instead:
>>>
>>> Is there any way of preventing this kind of major breakage in the future?
>>> I don't think many people expect that upgrading one package will FUBAR
>>> the packaging system.
>>>
>>> Is there any chance of Wine becoming functional on amd64 in the
>>> forseeable future?
>>
>> # apt-get install ia32-wine
>> (...)
>> 0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 187 not upgraded.
>> Need to get 11.0MB of archives.
>> After this operation, 51.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
>> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
>>
>> % winemine
>>
>> Have fun. Works both with sid and experimental wine. Provided you have
>> a lib32ncurses5 and lib32readline5 with the lib32 transition completed
>> that is. Bug the respective maintainers for that one.
>
> Hi Goswin,
>
> Sorry, but that's plain false. The package ia32-wine is non-existant.
>
> # apt-get install ia32-wine
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package ia32-wine
>
> But the package "wine" is and here is what I get :
>
> # apt-get install wine
> (...) works
>
> $ winemine
> (does not work)
>
> Regards,
>
> OdyX

Small addition. The reason that wine breaks there is that libc6-i386
is missing a Breaks: <wine packages> and wine is missing a
Pre-Depends: libc6-i386 (>= 2.9-18). The existing wine packages (if
they are to be kept) need to to the lib32 link -> directory
transition. Just one more SNAFU of libc6, not my fault.

MfG
        Goswin