Re: Consistent formating long descriptions as input data

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:55:31PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> At short look I have the following diff:

[ FWIW, if you want to try it out please use the live version [1],
  I've just fixed a stupid bug which caused ignoring the last
  paragraph of a description ]

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-python-debian/python-debian.git;a=blob_plain;f=examples/deb822/render-dctrl;hb=HEAD

> +           # accept also '.' and 'o' as bullets
> +           l = re.sub('^(\s*)[.o]\s+', '\\1* ', l)
> +           # use real URLs
> +           l = re.sub('<*([fh]t?tp://[-./\w?=~;&]+)>*', '[\\1](\\1)', l)
<snip>
> to enable working with currently used bullet symbols '.' and 'o' as
> well as it was suggested above in the thread.

Well, it depends on the goal. Mine was on the line of what I perceived
it was "consensus" (totally subjective perception), that of trying to
use a standard language: either Markdown or RST. My implementation is
for the former, and I tried to avoid supporting anything in
addition. The only exception I made is to split in place lists.

But if we have tons of '.' or 'o' lists, for sure we will need to
break that rule and support them. Do you have numbers about how many
such lists we have? If they are just a few they can easily be fixed,
if they are half the archive (which I doubt, having seen them rarely)
it would be a different story ...

>  Moreover we should probably use properly formated links if an URL
> is given.

I don't understand what you mean with this.

> You can view my implementation at [1] which leads to the examples
> with several comments at [2].  I'd suggest to compare the result of
> your implementation with the output on [2].

Fair enough, I'll try to made available on line a full rendering of
unstable using my implementation, updated routinely. It can then be
used as a more handy basis for comparison.

>>>  - Configuration_files: Allow to get information from configuration files
>>>  - Environments: Environments are useful for maintaining the state, intendend
>>> as a set of bindings, of a user interaction with a GUI
>>>  - FilenameExtra: Additional features for the standard module Filename
>
> That's definitely broken and should be fixed anyway.

Full ACK, so not a blocking problem.

>>   If not, can you please submit it with references to the thread?
>>   ... or else shout and I'll do that.
> Please go for it - as I said my spare time might be restricted.
> I'm not on vac but time consuming issues are not the first thing
> I would touch the next couple of days.

If nobody from -policy objects, I'll submit it tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments!
Cheers.