Re: Consistent formating long descriptions as input data

On Thu, Apr 23 2009, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Considering all this thread, can you please summarize the point of
> view of policy maintainers on the issue? (which is why I added back
> the -policy Cc: in the first place)

        While I can't speak for the policy team (I have not been
 re-delegated yet), I suspect the answer might be to get a working
 implementation out in the wild (it does not have to be packages.d.o or
 anything official -- even a standalone software that takes the output
 from grep-dctrl or parses a Packages file will suffice). This will
 allow us to see what changes to policy might be needed, if any, for
 package descriptions.

        Once we ahve a working implementation, and a clear idea of what
 might need to be changed in package descriptions (for example, we
 already know that packages using 'o' as a bullet in unordered lists
 will have to be changed to use one of +.-. or *), we can scan the
 package descriptions to see how many packages would be affected, and
 then decide how to introduce that language into policy (more package
 affected, the more the need for a transition plan)

        I do not see any reason this proposal should not become policy,
 eventually, since this deals with the core charter of the technical
 policy: standards that packages need to follow to allow for better
 integration.

        manoj
--
Diplomacy is the art of letting the other party have things your
way. Daniele Vare