Re: AVR32 port - config.{sub,guess} bug filing

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:22:24AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Bradley Smith <bradsmith@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > As some of you may be aware, myself and a few others are working towards
> > an AVR32 port of Debian, which is now making good progress. One problem
> > we've come across is since AVR32 is such a new architecture, a fair few
> > packages have config.{sub,guess} files that are missing the architecture
> > and hence fail to build.
>
> I'd like to see this problem go away once and for all.
>
> How about the scripts check for newer versions of themselves in the
> following paths and run those scripts instead of returning the
> information directly? Then the buildds for new architectures could
> simply install the required version of autotools-dev and be happy.
>
> /usr/share/automake/
> /usr/local/share/automake/
> ~/.automake/
>
> Some non-FHS compliant paths could be added for platforms that need them.

It unfortunately wouldn't work for the same reason config.{guess,sub}
updates don't work, and more. It would need to be incorporated upstream,
and all debian sources using config.{guess,sub} should be updated to
these newer versions. That sounds like something that's never going to
happen.

The best debian can do is enforce dpkg-buildpackage or some other dpkg
binary involved in the source extraction or build startup to replace or
hack the config.{guess,sub} files itself[1] before the build.

Mike

1. I, for one, run this before configure:
        sed -i '2!b;/^#/ i\exec "/usr/share/misc/'$$file'" "$$@"' $$dir/$$file
and this in clean:
        sed -i '2!b;/^exec "/ d' $$dir/$$file
where dir iterates over the directories containing these files and file
iterating over config.{sub,guess}.