Re: Google Summer of Code 2009: Debian's Shortlist

Raphael Hertzog a écrit :

Hi Raphael and thanks for your mail.

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Obey Arthur Liu wrote:
>> * Automatic Debug Packages Creation and Handling *
>> Student: Emilio Pozuelo Monfort, Mentor: Marc Brockschmidt
>>
>> This proposal aims at providing debug binary packages for the packages
>> in the Debian archive in an automatic manner, moving them away from the
>> official Debian archive to an special one. This has the benefits of
>> providing thousands of debug packages without any work needed from the
>> developers, for all the architectures, without bloating
>> the archive.
>
> I thought that Marc was not able to mentor this one. Did he change his
> mind ?

Marc was put as a placeholder. Josselin Mouette is now the mentor.

>> * Debbugs Web UI: Amancay Strikes Back *
>> Student: Diego Escalante Urrelo, Mentor: Margarita Manterola
>>
>>     The Amancay project aims to be a new read/write web frontend to
>> Debian's BTS; allowing DDs and contributors to easily interact with bugs
>> via an intuitive yet powerful interface, enabling new workflows and
>> creating new contribution opportunities like triaging while upholding
>> reporting quality.
>
> IMO it's important to have some web UI but we already had a project for
> this IIRC and it was not very successful. It would be interesting to know
> how the approach followed this year will differ from last time so that we
> have some good results this time.

You should ask Marga about this but OTOH, I remember there were issues
with Django not being mature enough two years ago (Django has reached
1.0 since), python-bts not being there yet and the scope of the project
being quite large..

>> * On-demand Cloud Computing with Amazon EC2 and Eucalyptus Integration *
>> Student: David Wendt Jr, Mentor: (probably) Steffen Moeller *see below*
>>
>>     In many academic fields, as well as commercial industries, people
>> use clusters to distribute tasks among multiple machines. Many times
>> this is done by packaging a whole operating system disk image, uploading
>> it onto the cluster, and having the cluster run it in a VM. This project
>> intends to make it easier for Debian to distribute prepared disk images
>> templates like they distribute CD images now, for the users to recreate
>> or customise these templates with Debian packages and for administrators
>> to host such clusters with Debian.
>
> I wonder what the challenges are… or is it simply about an UI that wraps
> deboostrap and some loop-mounting of filesystem images ?

The proposal lives here:
<http://wiki.debian.org/DavidWendt/GSOCProposal>
There a decent quantity of work, having both Amazon EC2 and Eucalyptus
developers on board.

>> * Debian Autobuilding Infrastructure Rewrite *
>> Student: Philipp Kern, Mentor: Luk Claes
>>
>>     Rewrite the software that currently runs the Debian autobuilding
>> infrastructure in a way that makes it more maintainable and robust. It
>> will use Python as its programming language and PostgreSQL for the
>> database backend. By harmonizing buildds, many build failures can be
>> prevented and wasteful workload on buildd volunteers can be reduced.
>
> What parts are concerned and how will it work out with Roger Leigh ?
> Will he be involved or not ?

Phil posted his proposal here:
<http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/user/pkern/wb_python>

> I remember that among the rules the student should work alone on the
> code, he should not have external help so that the result can be judged as
> being his work. Would it be problematic in this case ?

There's no such rule. The only common sense rule is that we should
distinguish his commits, which is quite easy.

Cheers

Arthur

--
Obey Arthur Liu