Re: tg3 firmware - was (Fw: [CASE#221365]: Closed - need firmware files)

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 01:14, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

>>     * Firmware is:
>>     * Derived from proprietary unpublished source code,

> electrical equipment or hardware tools, not text editors. As such, not
> all firmware can be expected to have any source code. In this case, as
> we have a declaration that source code was involved, that doesn't apply
> here.

Those tools often have source code like verilog or vhdl, but that
doesn't change the problem that this blob can be put into any
recognizable form. I wouldn't rule it out is the statement seems to
imply that. It says derived from not compiled from. Even the person
that made it may not know.