Re: Multi-instance startup scripts

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 22:55:27 +0200, Pasztor Janos wrote:
> Dear fellow Linux users,
>
> I would like to address an issue which has been a thorn in my side for
> a long time. Recently I made multi-instance scripts for some server
> packages like Apache, etc. I also noticed, that the PowerDNS package
> has a m.i. script provided.

Maybe you are interested in the runit package. This is an init system
with builtin service supervision.  Cloning a service is an easy task,
as you don't need to rely on PID files etc., and you can also check
what instances are in which state in an easy way, and control each
instance in a reliable way.

For a start, you can use runit in parallel with the usual sysvinit to
control a subset of services, but you can also replace sysvinit
completly with runit.

Regards,
Tino