Re[2]: Multi-instance startup scripts

Tino Keitel, 2009. április 9. 19:30:22:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 22:55:27 +0200, Pasztor Janos wrote:
>> Dear fellow Linux users,
>>
>> I would like to address an issue which has been a thorn in my side for
>> a long time. Recently I made multi-instance scripts for some server
>> packages like Apache, etc. I also noticed, that the PowerDNS package
>> has a m.i. script provided.

> Maybe you are interested in the runit package. This is an init system
> with builtin service supervision.  Cloning a service is an easy task,
> as you don't need to rely on PID files etc., and you can also check
> what instances are in which state in an easy way, and control each
> instance in a reliable way.

Well, there are quite a number of replacements for SysV init, but it's
still the standard. For some reason Linux' today still come with
init and as I guess, not without a reason.

I for one would very much like to see Debian being able to support
multiple instances for a service by default, not just after a lot of
configuration and extra packages installed. Most people just need a
second Apache instance, why bother installing some fancy
service-management if it is not needed at all? I tend to follow the
K.I.S.S. principle, an other service is an other point of failure.