Re: Why do we have to support tmpfs for /var/run (policy changes in 3.8.1)

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

>>> Another class of services which might be affected, are
>>> daemons/programs started by inetd.

>> Why would they put anything in /var/run?

> I guess for the same reasons why other system daemons put stuff in /var/run

They put their PIDs in /var/run so that they can be easily stopped or
checked for status.

So why would something started by inetd put anyting in /var/run?

I'm still having a hard time understanding what's putting files in
/var/run that isn't a daemon.  Even UNIX domain sockets exist generally to
contact a running daemon.  Could you explain what policykit uses /var/run
for, and educate me a bit on why D-Bus services have to put things in
/var/run but don't have init scripts?