Re: Why do we have to support tmpfs for /var/run (policy changes in 3.8.1)

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
>> Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>>> It is, however, a standard and supported option and it's the default in
>>                     ^^^^^^^^
>> Hm, what standard exactly do you refer too.
>
> standard, adjective [1622]
>
>    2) (a) regularly and widely used, available, or supplied  <standard
>       automobile equipment> (b) well-established and very familiar  <the
>       standard opera>

widely used and well established in Debian is definitely not the case.

> is what I meant.  /var/run on tmpfs has been common on UNIX platforms for
> many years.  It was standard on Solaris at least as far back as Solaris 8,
> for example.

Afaik, Ubuntu is the only Linux distro which supports and uses tmpfs by default.

I believe you, when you say that it is common on older UNIX platforms or
Solaris, as I don't have experience with them.

Again, if there would be a list of cons, I'd be much happier in supporting this
new policy. Unfortunately I only see disadvantages.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?