Re: Request for Comments: Standardize enabling/disabling of system services

> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 01:12:25PM +0200, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:

>> ACK. What speaks against 'service'? :)

> If we use the name 'service', please also make it handle service
> starting/stopping, which is what the program of the same name is
> traditionally used for on Red Hat systems (and now on Ubuntu).

I would love to have that command in Debian.  We have problems all the
time with sysadmins leaking environment variables into the environment of
long-running daemons.  It's particularly bad when that daemon is xinetd.

We can work around it with an alias, of course, but having the service
command to scrub the environment properly is easier and more consistent.