Re: Request for Comments: Standardize enabling/disabling of system services

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 03:04:10PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> * Using policy-rc.d, which is at least underdocumented.  I've used Debian
>   for a long time and I still have difficulty figuring out just what I'm
>   supposed to put where to disable a specific init script for a specific
>   service using the policy-rc.d layer and how that interacts with the
>   system boot process.

Answer:  it doesn't interact with the system boot process at all, it only
affects the behavior of invoke-rc.d. :(

> I think that renaming and/or removing the init script symlinks is the
> Right Thing To Do, but the tools we have for doing this are awful.  I
> think it would be a great solution if update-rc.d gained the following
> features:

I think this should be a separate program, reserving update-rc.d for
maintainer script use.  But please, not 'chkconfig', which is an entirely
unintuitive name. :)

> * An option intended for use by automated processes that reports the
>   current status of the init script (enabled or disabled) and the current
>   run levels and sequence information in an easy-to-parse fashion.

> * A way to disable an init script while retaining the current runlevel and
>   sequence information so that when it's re-enabled, it goes back where it
>   was.

Agreed.

> * A way to move an init script at a particular sequence to a different
>   sequence without breaking the rest of the world, overriding local
>   policy, or killing puppies.  (Unless dependency-based boot takes over
>   the world in time for squeeze and renders sequence information obsolete,
>   which would be lovely.)

I think this really needs to be resolved by deprecating the sequence-based
init approach entirely.  Or getting rid of file-rc, which is the fly in the
ointment any time maintainer scripts try to fix up init script sequence bugs
currently.