Re: Install-info transition, review time

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:05:43PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> the dpkg team and the texinfo maintainer have laid out a plan to
> get rid of dpkg /usr/sbin/install-info and start relying on
> GNU's install-info when needed. This will involve some work to
> transition properly. We have described our plan here:

> http://wiki.debian.org/Transitions/DpkgToGnuInstallInfo

It would be nice if the details were posted to the mailing list instead of
referencing a wiki.

 * dpkg ships a new /usr/sbin/install-info that will call
   /usr/bin/install-info with the same arguments. It also warns the user if
   called with an absolute path. Dpkg also contains Breaks against old
   versions of all info-browsers that do not depend on install-info.

I don't like the sound of this.  Why is it necessary to provide
/usr/sbin/install-info?  I assume this is out of concern that some packages
will be calling install-info with an explicit path, but that's been contrary
to Policy for years ("Programs called from maintainer scripts should not
normally have a path prepended to them", Policy 6.1) and I don't see any
evidence looking at my local systems that install-info is being used
incorrectly.

I don't think there should be an extra install-info in the path without a
clearer rationale.

Also, is the new dpkg going to Pre-Depend: on this new install-info package?
If not, what does this /usr/sbin/install-info wrapper script do when called
and /usr/bin/install-info is absent?  Packages currently call install-info
from their maintainer scripts unconditionally, because it's provided by an
Essential package.

> Please review and raise any suggestions if you have any. There
> has been some extensive discussion on -dpkg already that you can read
> to understand the choices made:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2009/03/msg00019.html

Given that install-info is codified in Policy, I think this plan needs to be
vetted via the policy process and include specific changes to the language
in Policy, prior to moving forward on implementation.