Re: Alioth - Convert SVN repo to Git

Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:

> Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> can you point me to someone (or ideally to a script or detailed
>> explanation) that managed to do that in an automated way?
>
> What I did manually was something like
>
> find . -type f -name 'foo*.dsc' | sort (or similar tools, make sure they're
> sorted in a way as dpkg would sort the versions) | while read i; do
> 	git-import-dsc $i
> done
>
> Then I've used git-svn to import the svn history in an extra repository,
> verified that everything is right, and pulled it from the repository created
> with git-import-dsc. As git-import-dsc uses the date from the changelog as
> commit date, this worked well enough for me. Probably needs some fine-tuning,
> but I hope that's something you can work on.

Been there, done that, got frustrated.

that approach will result in actually two trees: one with the exact
history of uploads and one with the svn history. while you have the
actuall contents now in your tree, the history information is not
exatcly correct. E.g. now you cannot bisect the svn commits anymore
(which was for me the point of the excercise).

I ended up in taking only the first branch (the one with the upload
history), as that seemed more useful for my purposes.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4