Re: Alioth - Convert SVN repo to Git

Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> writes:
>
>> I tried to put together a guide[1] to convert SVN repo to Git hosted on Alioth.
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git#ConvertaSVNAliothrepositorytoGit
>>
>> Since I'm not that expert in Git, I'd like to ask you for its review.
>> The conversion and all other steps are working, but there's room for
>> improvement, I think.
>
> the howto is useful if you want to convert the svn history of a project.
>
> The approach is IME useless for converting package branches that only
> contain the debian/ directory of a package. This kind of package branch
> layout is commongly found on svn.debian.org.

Not completely. If you have the tarballs of the released versions you can import
 and merge them. Or just ignore the old history and begin merging with the
latest upstream version. Importing tarballs is manual work, but it is possible...

--
 Bernd Zeimetz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 GPG Fingerprint: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79