Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Tue, Mar 17 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> What are the pros mentioned by Manoj that are specific to the Makefile
> snippet approach except the fact that we can continue to call debian/rules
> directly on all packages ?

        That by itself is reason enough, I think.

        Secondly, I have never seen the dpkg approach address the
 site-wide configuration: How is that to be done?

> At this point, I have the feeling it's a matter of individual taste
> mainly. Every time we have accepted that we have ended up with 2 different
> approachs (python-support vs python-central) and we have not won much.

        If you address these issues, I can accept your staatement:

 a) The site admin can set, and optionally override, the project wide
    defaults
 b) The package can set, and optionally override the site defaults, or
    the global defaults, or either, or none
 c) The user may set defaults, ot override the global, site, or package
    defaults, in any order.

> Is there a way to reconcile both approaches ?

        If you thik the dpkg approach can also provide the above
 functionality of the Makefile snippetr approach, then yes, the only
 advandate of the Makefile approach is that one is not dependent on dpkg
 to build packages (which, in my eyes, is a critical advantage by
 itself).

        manoj
--
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.