Re: Forcing version on dependency, how?

Hi,

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Thanks for letting me know. It would have been even better if you had
> provided an answer that actually help resolving my problem.

I did, I pointed you to dpkg-shlibdeps(1).

> Luckily someone did, and recommended the use of pbuilder to build the
> packages so it doesn't rely on packages I installed locally.

Well, that certainly doesn't answer your question about forcing
dependency.

BTW, in the dpkg-shlibdeps manual page, there are explanation about
debian/shlibs.local which lets you override the library dependency.
(This doesn't change anything about the fact that it is generally wrong to
do it though)

> > - it's not ${misc:Depends} but ${shlibs:Depends}
>
> I know it is. However, my packages are made using original ubuntu packages
> as a basis.

That doesn't change the problem at all. ${misc:Depends} is used by
various dh_* commands for example to add debconf dependencies but it
doesn't cover the library dependencies.

> It is in those packages that they are using misc:Depends instead. Like the
> mythtv packages:
> Example in debian/control
>
> Package: mythtv-common
> Architecture: allPre-Depends: pwgen
> Depends: adduser, mysql-client, ttf-freefont, ${misc:Depends}
> Suggests: mythtv-doc (= ${source:Version})

Surely an arch: all package doesn't end contain ELF binaries that could
depend on libraries ?

> > The packaging manual is an entry point, it doesn't contain all the infos
> > that one should know.
>
> Could you recommend a manual that do contain the required information?

There's no documentation that covers it all. The best is to read the
manual pages of all tools/commands that are used (directly or indirectly)
in the build process. At least you know what's happening and it's no more
a magical incantation. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/