Re: One-time cron output?

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> wrote:
> > I wanted to gather some opinions on this matter. I've recently applied
> > to the mlocate package a patch I received to skip running the daily
> > update of the database if the system is running on batteries.
>
> > When that happens, the daily cron script emits a warning like "System on
> > battery power, not running updatedb." I think it's going to be bad
> > emitting that warning each time mlocate skips running updatedb, because
> > it could be a lot of times.
>
> > On the other hand, I don't like the idea of being completely silent,
> > because the database could go un-updated for a long time without the
> > user ever knowing why.
> [...]
>
> IMHO the right thing to would be for mlocate (in locate mode, not in
> updatedb mode) to issue a warning if the DB was too old instead of the
> way you suggested.

Why only in locate mode? It does this already AFAIK but it doesn't tell
the user why it's old.

Sending the warning only when updatedb is skipped and when the DB is
already quite old seems like a good compromise.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/