Re: Upcoming Section changes in the archive

[BTW, the only proper spelling is "GNUstep" -- not "Gnustep" or
"GNUStep".]

Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   I maintain a page.app package.

You mean paje.app, I assume (innocent typo)?

> It is right it is a gnustep application (ie it uses the gnustep
> framwork). However, I never use the gnustep environment.

Well, GNUstep is not a desktop environment (unlike GNOME, KDE, Xfce,
etc.), so it is more or less correct that the proposed section title
says "GNUstep environment" and not "GNUstep desktop environment".
GNUstep is more than libraries (like GLib/GTK+), so it is basically
right to say "environment".

Whether gnumail.app (for example) belongs in the "gnustep" section
instead of the "mail" section is another question.  I think that
programs that have already specialized sections should remain there
(i.e. "science" for adun.app or "news" for lusernet.app).  OTOH,
having the GNUstep apps/bundles/tools in one section is a convenience
for the average user (I guess).

Current GNUstep upstream labels it as "development environment", and
it's very unlikely that GNUstep would become a desktop anytime soon
(contrary to the hopes of many GNUsteppers, unfo).  There is a desktop
based on it, however, Étoilé (http://etoileos.com).  The Debian
package is about to be updated after the current post-release
dust/morass settles down.

>   This is just to say that some *.app application are not tied to the
> gnustep environment (for example, I find correct that gnumeric is in the
> 'math' section and not in the 'gnome' section).

Right, you can run GNUstep apps under any window manager (well, in
theory, at least -- there are lots of WM-specific bugs and
limitations).  The same holds (to a much greater extent) for GNOME or
pure GTK+ apps or pretty much everything else.  I would consider it a
bug if I install (say) kmail on my GNUstep workstation and it doesn't
pull all the required dependencies and doesn't work correctly.