Re: Upcoming Section changes in the archive

Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> The new sections are:
>
> ruby                     Everything about ruby, an interpreted object oriented
>                          language.
> java                     Everything about Java
> video                    Video viewers, editors, recording, streaming
> fonts                    Font packages
> gnustep                  The Gnustep environment
> xfce                     The XFCE Desktop, fast and lightweight Desktop
>                          Environment.
> httpd                    Webservers and their modules
> localisations            Language packs
> debug                    Debug packages
> lisp                     Everything about Lisp
> vcs                      Version control systems
> haskell                  Everything about haskell
> zope                     Zope/Plone Framework
> database                 Databases
> kernel                   Kernel and Kernel modules

What about creating a 'libs' section for different languages?
Something like libs-ruby, libs-perl, libs-python, libs-java, libs-r, ...

This would allow to split the big 'libs' section and this avoid to put
libs (ie mostly automatic pulled packages) in sections where the user
search for applications (for example 'java' for programs that help to
write java development, ...)

It is also easier for tools such as deborphan to find libraries that
are not needed anymore. I know that the 'auto' flag should solve this
problem but it often happens for me to switch from auto to noauto when
trying to upgrade a package with 'apt-get install package' and no new
version of 'package' is available (in this case, the effect of
'apt-get install package' is to mark 'package' as 'noauto')

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87