Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 11:56 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> > > It seems that you first need to learn what Free Software means and what
> > > constraints the License and the Copyright law enforce. A Free software license
> > > allows you to do many things, it does definitely not allow you what Debian did.
> >
> > While I personally do not use wodim, simply because wodim does not
> > inspire much confidence with me being based on cdrecord, I have a few
> > observations:
> >
> > 1. If your code was licensed correctly, and there wasn't concerns about
> > it's quality, then nobody inside Debian would have forked it.
>
> This is an asumption that is only true in a "nice world". Unfortunately, there
> are some "Debian maintainers" that rather attack software authors instead of
> colaborating.

It is impossible to collaborate when you add invariant sections to the
code. Well done.

Generally it is considered to be bad taste when you change the licensing
rules abruptly.

> wodim has been created by Eduard Bloch because he is a person who is interested
> in actively preventing collaboration.

I am sorry that you are hurt about that, but get over it.

> The attacks run by him started in May 2004 and at that time he did already
> create broken (buy him) versions of cdrecord and shipped them as Debian package.
>

> > 2. I am not convinced that there is any legal issue with the fork of
> > cdrecord as wodim; it is clearly identified that it is a fork, and
>
> There definitely _is_ a major legal problem with the fork.

I have a solution that I think will make us all happy.

Why not just get rid of cdrkit and write some nice wrappers for cdrecord
and other components of cdrtools using libburn/libisofs. That way we get
a CD/DVD/BD burning engine that isn't originated from *you*, so *you*
can't complain about it anymore.

If cdrkit is as buggy as you claim, and you are so busy trolling, then I
feel that we cannot hold confidence in your product either. Good job on
that.

After all, if we aren't using your code or any derivative of your code,
then you have no reason to complain at us.

William