Re: Accelerated video cards and non-free firmware

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:28:39 -0500
Daniel Dickinson <cshore@bmts.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at getting a video card, and I want to know what video
> card that has 3D acceleration to get.  Normally I'd ask on -users but
> as the subject says I want to know what video cards will still have
> acceleration when the non-free firmware is removed from the kernel,
> which is supposed to happen for squeeze.
>
> I had heard that the ATI cards, which would normally be my first
> choice, have non-free firmware in the driver, which may be removed.
> Is this true, and if so what accelerated cards will have have
> acceleration once non-free firmware is removed.

Development of open source drivers is moving quite fast these days. So
I would expect decent 3D acceleration in open source drivers at the
time Squeeze is release. Best to ask on xorg@lists.freedesktop.org.

Cheers,
harry