Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:08:00 -0600
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>         Well. If the maintainer so desires, ucf does have this to say:
> ,----[  Manual page ucf(1) ]
> | --three-way

I thought I remembered seeing smth. like this.

>         Seems like this is what is desired;

Yes, this is exactly what is desired.

> however, the reason this
> is not on by default is that some configuration files can be huge,
> and ucf did not want to stash away _all_ the configuration files
> handled by it into /var.  The exectation was that most developers
> with smallish configuration files would use --three-way, but that
> expectation was unfounded.

Could this be made configurable locally? So the maintainer could still
set whatever default he finds useful but it could be overridden by the
admin? So everyone is happy.

Cheers,
harry