Re: Proposal to improve package configuration upgrades

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:15:52PM +0100, Harald Braumann wrote:
> No what I really would like to see is the diff between the last version
> I've merged and the new package version. So changes can easily be seen
> (changes in defaults, new/removed parameters or just white-space
> changes?) and merging would work without a conflict in most cases.
> Similar to like SCMs work.

Actually, this is something I've been pondering about for a
while. Having /etc under some VCS (as many of us, I presume, already
have by the means of etckeeper and similar tools), diff file merging
can be seriously improved.

The point is that we of course do not want neither to add the
dependency on some VCS into dpkg, nor to have dpkg making the choice
of which VCS.

So, it looks like that what we need is a pluggable mechanism into
dpkg, which dpkg will invoke when configuration file change conflicts
are encountered. A usual /etc/*.d/ place where to stick some script
with a well-defined API or something like that ...

Would something like that be thinkable of or am I totally on crack?

Cheers.