Re: PlayOnLinux in contrib

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:57:51PM +0100, Bertrand Marc wrote:

> The PlayOnLinux program itself is written under the GPL2+ so I (and my
> sponsor) think it could be uploaded to contrib. Do you think such a
> program which allows to easily install proprietary softs in a Debian
> system would be acceptable in contrib and would not be a policy violation
> ?

Well, GCC allows the compilation of proprietary software and GCC is included in Debian.  There are also already other tools in Debian
that make it easy to install proprietary software.  Such tools include apt-get, aptitude, rpm, yum, etc.

Also, what you are describing should also work to install GPL software on Linux that happens to be written for Windows.

As I recall the policy, whether a package belongs in main, contrib, or non-free has more to do with the dependencies and license of
that particular package rather than what it can be used for.

Allan.