Re: problems with the concept of unstable -> testing

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2008 17:55, "Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Kjeldgaard Morten
>>
>> <mortenkjeldgaard@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Another model that I think has not been discussed is never freezing
>> > stable.
>>
>> Freezing is the whole point of stable, if we didn't freeze it, it has
>> no reason to exist.
>
> In the current design "stable" means frozen.
>
> The suggestion was that you have a branch named "stable" (which actually could
> be given some other name) that consists of packages that have been
> through "testing" and found to pass some criteria suggesting quality (in the
> same way that "testing" has packages that have passed through "unstable"
> after some days of delay without new versions).
>
> Then the frozen branches would have some name other than "stable".
>
> Basically it's a suggestion for two levels of "testing".

The thought of a rolling release system has a lot of appeal to me for
desktop usage, but not for server usage, since each update contains
the potential to break things. It might be worth investigating into, I
know such infrequent releases makes using RELEASE-backports, or
running testing becomes almost essential if you want updated tools.