Re: Possibility for dependencies against specific kernel modules

Hi folks

Because of some recent events, I thought about the possibility for
packages to depend against kernel module packages. As we don't want to
dictate the usage of Debian provided kernels, we need a last resort
fallback to the modules source.

My first solution was something like the following:

| Package: test
| Depends: test-modules | test-source
|
| Package: test-modules
| Depends: linux-image-2.6.26-1-powerpc | linux-image-2.6.26-1-powerpc64
|
| Package: test-source

Both apt and aptitude would always try to install test-modules. The
problem is that neither apt nor aptitude are smart enough to find the
best solution in the dependency tree, both only evaluate deps of depth 1
at one time.
I don't understand why APT would always try to install test-modules. Suppose you're on lenny and you have speex installed, then APT won't propose to install vorbis-tools when you request to install abcde, despite its dependency on vorbis-tools (>= 1.0beta4-1) | lame | flac | bladeenc | speex

Are you saying there's a difference in your example? If so, what is it?