Re: Deprecating (and deactivation) of an archive feature?!

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 01:28:49AM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> I do think that allowing packages in main to provide binaries in contrib
> is useful, so I'd like to hear what the benefits would be if we'd agree
> to lose it.

I have no idea if there are technical benefits in dropping the support
for this. However, I do see a conceptual problem with the current
organization for such a border case.

*If* the directory organization in our mirrors should reflect what is
part of Debian and what is not (and note that recently this assumption
has been challenged), then the current situation is weird at best. We
have source packages located, say, under
/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/ which can possibly generated
binaries belonging to contrib/.

A user can be rightfully puzzled by such a situation: is the _source_
package she is downloading part of Debian or not?

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the