Deprecating (and deactivation) of an archive feature?!

Hi

currently our archive has the feature(?) that a source package in component a
(like main) can build a binary package in component b (like contrib).[1]

Now, this feature is blocking (or making it way harder) to do some
database re-designs we want to do for the central archive database, so
we looked if there are real users of it. Well, yes, there are (damnit :) ):

In unstable we have

Christian Holm Christensen <cholm@nbi.dk>
   root-system

Debian ALSA Maintainers <pkg-alsa-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   alsa-tools

Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   gnome-speech (U)

Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
   kdeaccessibility

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
   gnuradio

Zdenek Kabelac <kabi@debian.org>
   avifile

Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org>
   gnome-speech

Ana Beatriz Guerrero Lopez <ana@debian.org>
   kdeaccessibility (U)

Mikael Magnusson <mikma@users.sourceforge.net>
   alsa-tools (U)

Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>
   alsa-tools (U)

Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de>
   alsa-tools (U)

Kevin M. Rosenberg <kmr@debian.org>
   cl-sql

Victor Seva <linuxmaniac@torreviejawireless.org>
   linux-wlan-ng

Enrico Tassi <gareuselesinge@debian.org>
   linux-wlan-ng (U)

Sune Vuorela <debian@pusling.com>
   kdeaccessibility (U)

In testing we have avifile gnome-speech alsa-tools linux-wlan-ng cl-sql
kdeaccessibility root-system, in stable avifile linux-uvc alsa-tools
linux-wlan-ng cl-sql kdeaccessibility gnuradio latex-hangul-ucs, and,
just for amusement, oldstable had dvipdfm-cjk bluez-utils
openoffice.org-dictionaries cl-sql synopsis.

Now, the idea would be to deprecate this feature, used by 8 packages in
unstable, dropping complications in the database backend and the pool
layout which we would want to avoid.

Yes, it would require those packages to have a new (additional, maybe
stripped to be smaller) source tarball for the one package in the other
component. Well. 8 of them. A very tiny set compared to the whole
archive, and the question is there if that really means we have to keep
it.

But before we take a final decision I want to hear more input on it. So
here are your 5 seconds, please give input. :)

[1] this would also work with non-free. And by policy the source has to
    be in the more-free component.

--
bye, Joerg
[...] when an Idea and a developer get laid, code awakes to the world, then