Re: Standard way to disable services

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Guido Günther wrote:
> > The DESIGN behind invoke-rc.d and policy-rc.d is to help MAINTAINER SCRIPTS
> > don't screw up when restarting/starting/stopping services automatically,
> > either in the normal system context, or inside special chroots.
> >
> > They are NOT, and I repeat:  **NOT** user-level interfaces.  They are an
> > abstraction layer for the Debian maintainer scripts, and that's it.  You
> > can't extend them past that without making them useless for their purpose,
> > although you *could* add something like policy-rc.d to sysv-init if you
> > wanted.  But it must not be policy-rc.d itself.
> README.invoke-rc.d currently has:
>
> # There is a provision for a "local initscript policy layer" (read: a call to
> # /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d if this executable is present in the local system),
> # which allows the local system administrator to control the behaviour of
> # invoke-rc.d for every initscript id and action. It is assumed that this
> # script is OPTIONAL and will by written and provided by packages other than
> # the initscript system (sysvinit and file-rc packages).
>
> this gives at least the impression of a "user interface" in this case
> the sysadmin being the user.

The user of invoke-rc.d is the package maintainer scripts.  The user of
policy-rc.d is invoke-rc.d.

The local admin may use policy-rc.d to "tame" invoke-rc.d into doing what he
wants for local policy, and that will cause maintainer script to obey it.

> We might not want to use policy-rc.d as is in sysvinit of filerc during
> startup but we might consider moving these policy decisions "no I don't
> want this daemon at startup, yes I want that daemon reloaded after
> resume" into a policy layer that is independent of the underlying init
> mechanism and which can be queried by the different tools be it during
> system startup/shutdown or after/before suspend to/from ram/disk.

We could do that, yes.  But that requires extending the current design
carefully, not using it as-is.

I don't even think you'd need to change much, in fact.  But you should at
the very least have different entry points for the packaging scripts
(invoke-rc.d), initscript system (doesn't exist yet), and local admin
(currently, a direct call to /etc/init.d/foo).

  Henrique Holschuh