Re: Standard way to disable services

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 02:11:26PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 26 juillet 2008 à 13:18 +0200, Harald Braumann a écrit :
> > quite often I just want to disable a service in /etc/init.d. But there
> > doesn't seem to be a standard way to do that.

> The standard way is to remove the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d

No, the standard way is to *rename* the S symlinks to K symlinks.

If you remove the symlinks, you leave the service's state in that runlevel
undefined, and package upgrades will restart the service for you.)  If you
remove *all* the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d, upgrades will restore all of the
symlinks for you.

> > In http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=+462155 I was told
> > to use sysv-rc-conf. I didn't know that tool before. But it seems a
> > reasonable option.

> There is also services-admin (in gnome-system-tools).

Which, from what I've seen, doesn't know it needs to change S links to K
links.