Re: Which problem are we trying to solve? (Was: divergence from upstream as a bug)

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 03:05:41PM +0000, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 18/05/08 at 16:27 +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 03:18:12PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > > But the problem we want to solve is making things easier for
> > > upstreams.
> >
> > Oh?  When I read the proposal, I understood that the problem we want to
> > solve is about tracking changes we make to upstream.
>
> Ah, interesting. We are not trying to solve the same problem, which
> might explain why it's so hard to converge to a single solution.
>
> The problem I am interested in solving is:
>   It is currently difficult for people not involved in Debian
>   development (upstream, other distros, users) to know which patches we
>   applied, the reason for the patch, and whether they should be
>   interested in that patch or not.
>
> I thought that the problem of tracking changes for Debian developers was
> already solved by using a VCS and advertising it thought Vcs-*?

  Seconded, on both account. And if the exact details of how the VCS
handles those changes so that an outsider from the maintenance team can
contribute aren't obvious, I read about a README.source proposal that
seems to fill the gap nicely enough.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit