Which problem are we trying to solve? (Was: divergence from upstream as a bug)

On 18/05/08 at 16:27 +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 03:18:12PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > But the problem we want to solve is making things easier for
> > upstreams.
>
> Oh?  When I read the proposal, I understood that the problem we want to
> solve is about tracking changes we make to upstream.

Ah, interesting. We are not trying to solve the same problem, which
might explain why it's so hard to converge to a single solution.

The problem I am interested in solving is:
  It is currently difficult for people not involved in Debian
  development (upstream, other distros, users) to know which patches we
  applied, the reason for the patch, and whether they should be
  interested in that patch or not.

I thought that the problem of tracking changes for Debian developers was
already solved by using a VCS and advertising it thought Vcs-*?