Re: Should -dev packages providing .pc files depend on pkg-config?

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:49:24PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > I can't speak for Bernhard of course, but my opinion is that such
> > dependencies of any sort are redundant.  The development packages are
> > not usable by themselves, they are used by programs.  If it's a dev
> > package for a C library that is used in a C program you want to
> > compile, then it's your program depending on the C compiler already.
> > If it's a module for Python used in a Python program, then the program
> > depends on the Python interpreter already.

>         I am not sure I find this argument convincing.  For
>  dependencies, we have ruled that if a package depends on library A, and
>  that library depends on library B, the package in question should
>  still only mention library A only -- and let libA's dependencies pull in
>  libB.

Any package that wants to use .pc files during its build is going to invoke
pkg-config directly, and changing your -dev package to recommend a different
means of linking to the library won't cause this reference to disappear.
That's a build-dependency.