Re: Should -dev packages providing .pc files depend on pkg-config?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:20:56 +0200, Bernhard R Link <brlink@debian.org> said:

> * Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> [080407 10:16]:
>> > It's not the dev package's responsibility to ensure
>> > gcc/g++/binutils are installed, I beleive the same applies to
>> > pkg-config.
>>
>> It sounds like you're suggesting to add pkg-config to
>> build-essential?  Because that's the reason that the -dev package
>> doesn't depend on them.

> Here I have to contradict. No -dev package should ever depend on a
> compiler or linker, even if that tool was not already in
> build-essentials.

        Can you provide some rationale for this assertion? I can see why
 one might not tie the development tool very strongly with a particular
 compiler or compiler version, to allow a developer to use it with an
 alternative development tool, but I can see why one  may want to depend
 on a generic foo-lang-compiler-or-interpreter virtual package.

        There is obviously a trade off here -- the need to the
 development package to be useful on installation, by ensuring that the
 tools required to use the package are also installed, versus the need
 to allow people to use the package with alternate developer tools. Ar
 there other considerations and use cases you have in mind?

        I see recommends as a middle ground between a depends and a
 suggestions; can you articulate why this middle ground is unaceptable,
 as you assert above?

        manoj
--
Ah, sweet Springtime, when a young man lightly turns his fancy over!