Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On 27/02/2008, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Many of the students that were selected were already well-known
> Debian contributors or developers. The first problem with that is
> that some of those students used their GSOC time to work on their
> usual Debian tasks instead of their GSOC project, leading to
> disapointing results, unsuccessful projects, less projects being
> accepted the next year, etc.

Nice claims. Pointers?

> (1) Forbid DDs and people in the NM process waiting for FD/DAM to
> apply as students.

How is this distinction relevant? Isn't that possible to be
waiting-for-that-never-coming-DAM-review, student, but also working on
various opensource projects, as well as maintaining packages, alone or
within teams, working on various areas of the Debian project (e.g. QA,
by providing with patches, NMUing packages; or mentoring people with
their new or updated packages), at the very same time?

I believe it's possible. And I believe you'll find a trivial example.

Now. How come it wouldn't be possible to apply for a GSOC slot,
lowering the involvement in one (or more) of the above-mentioned
areas, and concentrating on a specific project?

--
Cyril Brulebois