Re: conditional dependency?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:53:37PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 23:48:21 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> > Although not very probably, until now Debian used to support static linking
> > (libdev packages provide .a files, and depend on libdev packages that
> > provide dependent .a files).

> That's not true, afaik.  If you're linking statically, you have to
> figure out dependencies on your own.

Conventionally, library -dev packages do depend on other -dev packages that
they require for static linking; and certainly, tools like pkg-config and
libtool (and other home-grown foo-config scripts) tend to encourage this
behavior.  Nowadays, with a proper .pc file I would argue that this could be
reduced to a Recommends.