Re: List of packages shipping shell scripts with bashisms + MBF proposal

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

> Since 0.5.6, it does not; the only number it understands is the
> pseudo-signal 0, mandated by POSIX.

Oh, sorry, you're of course correct.  I missed the 0 == n test in
gettrap().  Sorry about the confusion.

> The reason POSIX doesn't allow numbers is that they are inconsistent
> from platform to platform.  People who learn signals on a commercial OS
> of yore sometimes assume that signal 5 means something other than
> SIGTRAP on Debian, and script traps and kills that end up not doing what
> is intended.

This is a good point.  However, it's worth noting that the XSI extension
to POSIX doesn't allow you to use just any numbers.  It specifically lets
you use numbers for HUP, INT, QUIT, ABRT, KILL, ALRM, and TERM and nothing
else.  I think that's fairly portable.