Re: -Wl,--as-needed considered possibly harmful

Le lundi 10 décembre 2007 à 18:24 +0000, Neil Williams a écrit :
> I don't have a problem with libglib2.0-0 in gtk+2.0.pc - it may well be
> correct to have that one in the pkgconfig because gtk headers define
> variables in terms of Glib typedefs. (I have to do the same with libqof1).
>
> The actual string is:
> -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm
> -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl
> -lglib-2.0

And it used to be much longer. We’ve been working on reducing it and it
is still work in progress.

> 1. Glib: gmodule2.0 (and it's variants) shouldn't export -ldl. This is
> minor because it's a libc6 lib anyway so it doesn't cause an extra
> dependency but it will be the only "unwanted" link in the next version
> of libqof1 now that I've fixed the others.
>
> 2. Gtk+2.0 really shouldn't export gmodule. Even if there is a reason
> for lglib2.0, there is no reason for -lgmodule. It is trivial to omit
> this linkage from the gtk+2.0.pc file.

Both sound right, although this is something that needs some more
checking.

> 3. Ditto for gobject although I might be wrong on that one.

Yes, GObject provides the object model and I don’t think we can omit it.

> 4. Gtk+2: There is no need, as I see it, for atk, m, pangocairo, pango
> or cairo to be Requires: in gtk+2.0.pc - these should be
> Requires.private: instead.

IIRC most of them are used in either macros or for the types they
provide. Maybe some of them could be omitted, but not all of them.

--
 .''`.