Re: Please don't list available translations in the package description

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 03:10:35PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:40:43PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This one time, at band camp, Leo costela Antunes said:
> > >
> > > While I agree it's an issue (albeit a small one), I think we shouldn't
> > > file bugs for it while there's no better place to put this information.
> > > It may reduce the objectiveness of some searches, but it is still
> > > valuable information.
> >
> > At the moment, I'm inclined to agree with Enrico.  I don't think it's
> > all that helpful to have some small subset of all the programs actually
> > translated into a given language returned in a search for that language
> > string.  It's both an incomplete list (since many other programs will be
> > localized, but just not mention it in the package description) and also
> > useless clutter when you're looking for things related to actually
> > working in the language.
>
> I'd also tend to think that generic internationalization support
> sentences are quite inappropriate into package long description.
> Support leve is generally subject to frequent changes, so why
> polluting descriptions with those things?

I agree.  Since most of the packages understand UTF-8 these days for
i12n, there is no need to mention each l10n support.

(In old days, jvim was different from vim to support Japanese ... I do
not know if it ever reached debian.org or stayed in debian.or.jp...
though)

Osamu