Re: Packaging a library that requires cross-compiled code

* Peter Samuelson (peter@p12n.org) wrote:

> [Eric Dorland]
> > s/autoconf/automake/g
> >
> > The same is true of automake.
>
> Good thing that isn't a problem, since you don't Build-Depends:
> automake, but rather Build-Depends: automake1.7 or whatever.

But this creates a problem when automake1.7 is three major revisions
out of date and should be removed from the archive. Right now every
time I do this I have to file hundreds of bugs and do lots of
NMUs. I'm not eager to turn this into thousands. So it is already a
problem.

I agree with your goal in principle, but the autotools just aren't
designed to be used that way, and we'll be fighting with them more
than actually deriving benefit from doing this.

--
Eric Dorland <eric@kuroneko.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com